Sunday, August 5, 2012

Sweeping the Air, Catching the Dust


The Three Little Men in the Wood
by Arthur Rackham, 1909

Sweeping the Air, Catching the Dust
By Eileen DeLorenzo  © 2012


Each August, I see a dear friend in storytelling at a get-together at a mutual friends' home. Standing in their kitchen, with genuine interest, she asks me, every year, "So what have you been doing?" As someone who's been evolving as a storyteller for several years, quite confident in the fact I will never be accused of being an overnight success; I struggled with answering her question. What have I been doing?
It's a tricky thing, navigating our careers and lives without the structure of working 9-5, five days a week. Spending hours researching multiple versions of a folktale. Learning all there is to know about the culture where the story is from as well as the significance of a type of tree or animal in the story.  All of this time and energy invested in developing a five to seven minute story.

Most of my work is in schools mostly from January to June.  This past year I was very fortunate to tell stories I knew well, from years of telling, in more classrooms and schools than I ever have in a school year. With each group, because of the stories close and familiar, the images and characters were uniquely recreated. In some magical tellings, using my breath, the story seemed to add its own gems.

I treasure those gems. But it's summer now. What have I been doing? I had one gig, a women's club brunch for which I developed three new stories and revised a personal story scheduled for the end of this month. Becoming 'close' to the stories sustained my identity as a storyteller these past weeks.  But with a recent email, the wind was knocked out of my sails, cancelling due to low interest. I knew this was a possibility when I accepted the gig. Granted, I can add those new stories to my repertoire and use them in other venues, but what else did I do this summer?

I did what I've done all these years. I read. I read from every source possible on the topic of which I am most passionate; the importance of storytelling in education, and constructivist education and neuroplasticityNational Storytelling Network's recent Storytelling Magazine reminded me I am part of an amazing network. It was a shot in the arm to reread Karen Chace's posting of the article, 'Your Brain on Fiction' from The New York Times. When it was too hot to walk and practice my stories I downloaded Halo and Noose's The Power of Story Telling and Story Listening in Business Life and Story Matters ebooks. I was curious about Tricycle Magazine's reference to Mark Epstein's, Going On Being and fortunate to find it in CMU's Library. Facebook postings by storytellers such as Camille Born and her seemingly incapable, yet honest sidekick brightened my day. My friend Dawn's posting a video of an injured dragonfly being hand fed and nurtured back to health reaffirmed my sense of wonder in the minute.

Beyond my computer, I'd find myself, more times than I care to admit, looking out the window wondering about things such as why I never noticed leaves look like they are vibrating in the wind. Simple? Well, not really. Measuring worth through intangible experiences is difficult. Despite my struggle with this, I've always seemed to be where I needed to be, doing what I needed to do at the right time. Thanks to family, friends and friends in storytelling, all along, and this summer, more than ever, I am committed and inspired to continue to develop the craft of spoken word.


Eileen DeLorenzo tells stories to audiences of all ages. Her love of story within the art of creating images, and the shared dynamics between teller and listener fuel her warm and lively performances. ​Eileen performs at schools, libraries, community events, festivals, senior organizations, and Tellabrations!An elementary educator, classroom storyteller/storyteacher and certified Thinking Maps™ trainer.

Eileen is available for classroom storytelling sessions and professional development workshops in integrating
Thinking Maps™, storytelling, instructional methods and brain research in education.  
www.classroomstoryteller.com.Visit Eileen's Classroom Storytelling and Thinking Maps blog.

Eileen DeLorenzo is a guest blogger for Karen Chace and Catch the Storybug blog. All rights to this article belong to  Eileen. Distribution, either electronically or on paper is prohibited without her expressed, written permission. If you would like to be a Guest Blogger contact Karen at Storybug@aol.com for the information.

13 comments:

Mary Grace Ketner said...

You asked just the right question, Eileen. Sometimes I work all day long and, at the end of the day, there is no evidence that I have done anything at all. If I were gardening, there would be a clean patch, free of weeds; if I were laying bricks, there would be a new row or two. But with story learning, there is no visible evidence that you can point to and say, "I did that!" You just continue on faith that the world is richer for your study and work, and, when the gig comes, of course, you're really glad you did it! :)

storyspace said...

I love posing the question as a way of introducing the article. Makes me stop and ponder What have I been doing ? Which leads me to larger questions. Thanks!

Eileen DeLorenzo said...

Thanks for your comment, Mary Grace. I love your reference to fertile ground. I had the unexpected opportunity to tell one of the stories I worked on this summer at Joe Remenar's home yesterday. About 25 of us sat on the deck near the big lake as I told the story with a big lake that was central to the story. The first telling of that story unfolded just as we hope our stories would. All the work we do, family, friends and virtual friends keep the rows straight and ground soft.

Camille Born, Storyteller said...

Well said, Eileen. You captured the same thoughts and feelings I have about that question from people not in the business; it's so hard to explain what we do in between gigs. Oh, and the sudden loss of wind that becalms us! it's good to know that staying in touch through social media can help us all through those times when we are seemingly just drifting. We do have a strong support group even if the group is spread across a wide geographic distance. Abe is blushing. (see Travels with Abe photo album on my Facebook page)

noa Baum said...

I thought I was alone in the struggle with that question.... you put it so well. I find the biggest challenge juggling between creative time, creative work and the endless need to promote so I can get work to do what I love. It feels good to read what you shared and reminded of our unique, wonderful community of dedicated storytellers. thank you!

Regina Ress said...

I love the title, Sweeping the Air, Catchin the Dust. Ephemeral work, but real. The story is often in the silences. The work we do to tell the story is often in the weeding of the garden and washing the windows to see the spaces beyond. Not to mention all the hard work! Thanks for your thoughts.

Linda Gorham said...

Yes, yes, yes! There is no "result" when I have spent the day researching or thinking or pondering stories. I don't think folks understand the process that goes on behind the scenes. And, I have to say that even I am disappointed when I end a work day without a tangible product. Maybe that's why I do plant flowers. Every day I can see some result of my work. Thanks for saying what many are thinking. inda

Tony Toledo said...

With every word your love of story shines through, Eileen. Ray Bradbury said, "All the time we jump off the cliff and grow our wings on the way down." Every time we learn a new story just for the sake of the story we are stretching our storytelling wings. Then will come a time time where that story will be the perfect thing to share. Life is a puzzle. We are given random pieces to fit together. When one of the pieces is new story , oh yeah, life is good. Thanks for sharing your wise words.

Stories by Julie said...

Eilrrn, your painting of mental images is so real. Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I too struggle with the question "What ahve you been doing?" Even those who are closest to me and are not all about Story have a difficult time understanding what I try very hard to explain. Your words may help. And Linda, I think that's why I plant flowers too. It's something tangible, something I can point to and say, "There, that's what I've been doing." But those seeds of story, somehow they elude capture.

Eileen DeLorenzo said...

• Noa, Along with social media helping and supporting us, as and Camille commented, this year's Northlands Storytelling Conference renewed and inspired me as an individual storytellers. The shared experiences at the conference, workshops, conferences, meals together and conversations connected me to 'our unique, wonderful community' of storytellers. Your workshop and fringe concert inspired me to rework my personal story. Thank you for your work.

Eileen DeLorenzo said...

Regina, those in-between times, as openings 'to see the spaces beyond'....beautiful!

Eileen DeLorenzo said...

These comments, all full of very meaningful messages, remind me I am not alone. Thank you!

Lois Sprengnether Keel said...

So glad to know we storytellers in Michigan still keep the fires of storytelling burning, Eileen. Sometimes it feels like there's not enough to keep us all going. Your article is a perfect example of what to tell people wondering why a storytelling program has earned what seems to be a high price for a short time. . . The time is far longer than the performance!