Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Mother's Day and Memories

"Yet here's a kiss for my mother dear."
From "The Golden Staircase"
illustrated by M. Dibden Spooner, 1906

“If you bungle raising your children, I don't think whatever else you do well matters very much.”

   ~ Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis

As a child, Mother’s Day sometimes meant a double celebration in my family because every seven years it would fall on my mother’s birthday, May 10. This made it  an extra special day! Patricia was a woman filled with contradictions, one day a bundle of insecurities, the next sharing her hard won wisdom. She carried with her the "lilt of Irish laughter" but also the fiery temper that went with her brilliant red hair.

Born during the Great Depression, raised in a family of twelve children, I never fully appreciated her journey of resilience and strength until I was grown with a family of my own. Whenever she came to visit she would lightly tap on the door, fling it open and cheerfully shout, “Hello to the house!”  She has been gone for 16 years and I miss her every day, but her voice continues to echo through my life and heart.

Happy Mother’s Day to every woman who has opened their hearts to the children in their lives.

STORIES

The Aged Mother – Germany

The Bad Mother – Romania

The Disobedient Frog – Korea

The Dragon Prince and the Step-Mother – Turkey

How the Kangaroo Got Its Pouch - Australia

Native American Mother Stories

The Magic Brocade – China

Mother Holle  - Germany

Mother’s Darling Jack – Romania

The Mother’s Child – European Folktales
http://tinyurl.com/gocs9w4

The Poor Sick Mother – France

The Story of the Aged Mother – Japan

The Story of a Mother – Hans Christian Andersen


BOOKS

Collections of mother and daughter tales:



CRAFTS

Better Homes and Gardens – Twenty cute and clever crafts.

DaniellesPlace.com – Flowers, frames, bookmarks and more will keep the little one’s busy making a cute craft for their Mom.



Karen Chace 2013 ©

This blog post was researched and compiled by Karen Chace. Permission for private use is granted. Distribution, either electronically or on paper is prohibited without my expressed written permission. For permission please contact me at storybug@aol.com. Of course, if you wish to link to my blog via your website, blog, newsletter, Facebook page or Twitter please feel free to do so; I greatly appreciate your support and personal integrity.

No comments: