|Aquinnah Lighthouse |
Martha's Vineyard, Massachusetts
(This is my personal photo)
I've always loved lighthouses and have been fortunate to visit a few here in New England and the Kilauea Lighthouse on the island of Kauai. For many the position of lighthouse keeper carries a sense of romance and wonder with it but in fact, it was a dangerous and lonely life. Many lighthouse keepers were heroes as well, risking their lives to save others.
- The tallest lighthouse is Cape Hatteras, NC (196 ft. built in 1872).
- The most expensive lighthouse built in America is St. George Reef, off Crescent City, California.. It took ten years to construct (1882-1892) and cost $715,000.00.
- The Lighthouse Service was created in 1789 by the 9th Act of the first Congress.
- There were never more than 850 lighthouses in operation at once, although about 1,500 were constructed in this country over the years.
- The first fog signal in this country, a cannon, was at the Boston Lighthouse. The 1st Order Fresnel lens was installed on Seguin Island, Maine in 1857. This extremely rare lens stands 12 feet tall and can be seen for 20+ nautical miles.
- Towers are given special (painted) patterns, diamond shapes, spirals, stripes, etc. or colors to distinguish them from each other.
- The most famous lighthouse in history is the Lighthouse of Alexandria, built on the island of Pharos in Hellenistic Egypt.
- The oldest existing lighthouse in the world is La Torrede Hercules located in La Coruña, in Galicia, Spain. They say this lighthouse dates back to ca. 20BC
The sites below offer snippets of stories and information that will help you research the tales to shed more light on the legends...pun intended.
Don’t Turn Off the Lights: Haunted Lighthouses https://www.beachcombingmagazine.com/blogs/news/haunted-lighthouses
The Most Haunted Lighthouses
of the Great Lakes Region
Build a Lighthouse
Coloring Pages - Free
How To Make a Paper Lighthouse
Puzzles, Mazes and Matchups
United States Lighthouse Society – Curriculum materials for K-4, fun activities, crafts, and so much more.https://uslhs.org/education/educational-materials
30 Lighthouse You
Have to Visit in Your Lifetime
Lighthouses of British Columbia
Lighthouse Directory - Information and links for more than 13,600 of the world's lighthouses.
New England Lighthouses – A Virtual Guide – History, photos and more.
Barnes and Noble – A long list of children’s books and more focusing on lighthouses.
Please note, websites change at a rapid pace and weblinks may change or break without notice. I cannot be responsible for redirected or broken links. At the time of this posting all links were in working order. Thank you for understanding.
Karen Chace 2011 ©
This blog post was researched and compiled by Karen Chace. Permission for private use is granted. Distribution, either electronically or on paper is prohibited without my expressed written permission. For permission, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org. Of course, if you wish to link to my blog via your website, blog, newsletter, Facebook page or Twitter please feel free to do so; I greatly appreciate your support and personal integrity.