by Winslow Homer, 1878
August is National Peach Month! It’s been a while since I’ve had time to research and post a blog but I couldn’t let this delicious celebration go by without sharing some delectable tales to whet your appetite.
Fun Facts About Peaches
- Peaches were mentioned as early as 79 A.D. in literature.
- Peaches are at their peak from June to the end of August.
- The World’s Largest Peach Cobbler is made every year in Georgia. The cobbler measures 11 feet by 5 feet.
- This plant is closely related to almonds, cherries and plums.
- The peach originated from China, but it can be found all around the world today.
- The peach was known as the ‘Persian Apple’ because ancient Romans believed that the peach originated in Persia.
- The peach symbolizes immortality and unity in Chinese culture.
- “You’re a real peach: originated from the tradition of giving a peach to the friend you like.
The above facts were gathered from the following websites:
Fadhila’s Secret - Kenya
The Peach Boy - Japan
Peach Darling – Japan
The Silent Cavalier – The Story of the Peach Tree - Azores
The Two Jugglers - China
The Monkey Spirit - China
The Queen Mother of the West -China
How Three Heroes Came By Their Deaths Because of Two Peaches - China
Activity Village – Giant Peach Craft
Be a peach and leave me a comment when you have a moment. Let me know if you found this or my other blog posts useful in your storytelling, classroom, etc. I would love to hear from you!
Please note, websites change at a rapid pace and web links may change or break without notice. I cannot be responsible for redirected or broken links. At the time of this posting all links were in working order. Thank you for understanding.
Karen Chace 2019 ©
This blog post was researched and compiled by Karen Chace. Permission for private use is granted. Distribution, either electronically or on paper is prohibited without my expressed written permission. For permission please contact me at email@example.com. Of course, if you wish to link to my blog via your website, blog, newsletter, Facebook page or Twitter please feel free to do so; I greatly appreciate your support and personal integrity.