if you want to suppress a culture, take their stories. If you take their
stories, you take their power.” Kristin
I always love sharing folktales on themes and different countries. Today I am celebrating the beautiful country of Ukraine. As we all know the country and its courageous people are under attack. Let’s keep them in our hearts and continue to share their stories and traditions.
the world countries are offering support in a variety of ways, food, shelter,
medical care, and more. If you would like to donate to these efforts, Charity
Navigator offers a number of essential, reliable, and financially responsible organizations
FACTS ABOUT UKRAINE
- Ukrainian civilizations date back to 4800 B.C. The country is located in an area where Trypillian and Scythian civilizations thrived.
- Ukraine is home to seven sites protected by the UNESCO World Heritage L
- The world’s first constitution was drafted and introduced in 1710 by Ukrainian Hetman Pylyp Orlyk.
- Ukraine is the world's largest producer of sunflower seeds. It is estimated that the total size of Ukraine’s sunflower farmlands could cover the entire territory of Slovenia.
- The vast tracts of arable land in Ukraine with fertile black soil made it an ideal place for growing wheat and other food crops. As such, it was nicknamed the "Breadbasket of Europe.” Today, Ukraine continues to be one of the largest producers of wheat in the world.
- The gas lamp was invented by two Lviv-based pharmacists - Jan Zeh and Ignacy Łukasiewicz in 1853.
- The deepest metro station in the world is Arsenalna station on the Sviatoshynsko – Brovarska line located in Kyiv – the capital city of Ukraine.
- Vyshyvanka is the name of the National Costume of Ukraine. This is differentiated from others because of its embroidery work which features Ukrainian embroidery.
The above information found at the following
The Fox and the Crane
The God and the Devil
The Heron, the Fish, and the Crayfish
How A Fish Swam in the Air and a Hare in Water
The Magic Egg
The Magic Pumpkins
The Tsar and the
Fairy Tales, Folk Tales and Fables
Ukrainian Folk Tales translated by Marie Halun Bloch – Meet The Poor Wolf,
The Spiteful Nanny Goat, The Foolish Dog, and a host of other animals between
Children’s Books Set In Ukraine
Thunder Bay Public Library offers some wonderful suggestions of available books.
Printable craft based on the children’s book, The
Ukraine Coloring Pages for Kids
Ukraine Facts for Kids
U is for Ukraine - Ukraine for Kids Virtual Tour
A History of
The History Pysanka Symbolism –
variety of decorative motifs are found on pysanky. Because of the egg’s
fragility, no ancient examples of pysanky have survived. However, similar
ornamental patterns occur in pottery, weaving, wood carving, embroidery and
other traditional crafts, examples of which have survived through the ages.”
How to Decorate Pysanky Ukrainian Easter Eggs
Pysanky Ukrainian Easter Eggs and How to Make Your Own - The start of spring means that
Easter is on the horizon, which for many people means one thing—it's time to
start decorating eggs.”
Ten Customs That Only Ukrainians Will Understand
“The roots of Ukrainian customs date back centuries, but at the same time, they remain no less popular nowadays…Ukrainians pay great attention to the observation of customs, as they are unique and extremely peculiar – even absurd sometimes.”
Traditional Crafts – Learn about
pottery, weaving, painting, and more.
Ukrainian Customs and Traditions – Learn about wedding traditions, national costumes, and
Ukrainian Folklore –History, cuisine, folklore and more.
Ukrainian Women Bring Back Traditional Floral Crowns To
Show National Pride|
“According to the tradition, these headdresses were worn by young, unmarried women to show their “purity” and marital eligibility. Now though, the artists are using them as a reminder of Ukrainian identity in rough times the country is going through. With continuing political and actual physical pressure from Russia, the country faces serious threats to its integrity and unity is needed more than ever.”|
Authentic Ukraine – An amazing
project on the cultural Heritage of Ukraine, including performing arts,
traditional rituals, food, music, oral traditions, tours of cultural heritage,
and “authentic audio and visual examples of Ukrainian identity.” Learn more
about this beautiful country and its fascinating history.
of the Ukrainian Forest
“Chuhaister is the spirit of the Carpathian mountain forest. Chuhaister is both protector of the woods and the spirit of the forest.” Learn all about this spirit at the link below.
ADDITIONAL CULTURAL RESOURCES
the Continent of Africa
Celebrating the Country of China
Celebrating the Country of Germany
the Country of India
Celebrating the Country of Russia
Celebrating the Country of Scotland
Celebrating the Country of Turkey
Please note, websites change at a rapid pace and weblinks may change or break without notice. I cannot be responsible for redirected or broken links. At the time of this posting all links were in working order. Thank you for understanding.
Karen Chace 2022 ©
This blog post was researched and compiled by Karen Chace. Permission for private use is granted. Distribution, either electronically or on paper is prohibited without my expressed written permission. For permission, please contact me at email@example.com. Of course, if you wish to link to my blog via your website, blog, newsletter, Facebook page or Twitter please feel free to do so; I appreciate your support and personal integrity.